Are you 18-25 years old, living in the UK and available to volunteer full-time, plus one of the following:
● a student looking for a placement year
● a graduate aiming to accelerate your career
● or looking for an alternative to university while making a real difference to children’s lives? Then City Year UK wants to hear from you!
We’re looking for the next generation of changemakers who want to be inspirational role models,
mentors and tutors to children who need it the most. Join our year-long leadership development programme and contribute to tackling educational inequality, from August 2020 – July 2021.
You could really make a difference to children’s lives, while
accelerating your own career prospects and gaining the confidence to lead from the front – it’s your
chance to #BeTheChange.
We’re currently recruiting for our Greater Manchester, London, Birmingham and Coventry
programmes, for full-time school hours during term time. Read on for more information on how you
can get involved.
Our vision is of a society where all children are inspired to believe in themselves and supported to
excel by a generation of young people whose commitment to a year of voluntary service is universally respected. We are dedicated to empowering 18-25 year olds across London, the West Midlands and Greater Manchester to help children from disadvantaged communities succeed in school. But we can’t do it without our committed Volunteer Mentors – and that’s where you come in.
What will you be doing?
You’ll become a volunteer mentor based in a school in a low-income area, improving your own career prospects through challenging work experience and personal and professional development
workshops. This includes:
● Being integral to the school day and work as part of a team
● Acting as a role model, mentor and coach to help struggling pupils succeed, providing 1:1 and
small group support in class
● Leading clubs, projects and events to promote a positive school culture
● Supporting pupils’ academic and emotional wellbeing, creating a positive learning
This is a full-time volunteering opportunity, so you must be available during school hours in term time
(from August 2020 to July 2021) in order to apply.
What will you get?
As part of your City Year experience, you’ll receive:
● Day-to-day experience of working in schools and with children
● Bespoke training sessions on Fridays, to develop leadership and employability skills
● A designated professional mentor from our corporate partners
● Access to accredited leadership courses
● £90-£100 living expenses per week, dependent on region, plus all travel expenses reimbursed
● One of our iconic red jackets
93% of our volunteer mentors go on to full-time employment or education after completing their City
Year, having laid the crucial foundations to take the next steps in their careers.
Ready to join the City Year UK movement?
Our volunteer mentors come from a wide range of backgrounds but are united in one common goal:
to better themselves and to better the lives of pupils facing barriers to success. Nearly 1,300 people
have served with City Year UK since 2010 – and they’ve progressed into careers within education,
social work, law enforcement, finance, engineering, marketing and many others, as well as launching
their own businesses.
Interested in learning more, or want to apply to become part of our 2020/2021 cohort?
Visit cityyear.org.uk/join for more info – and if you have any questions, call Ciara on 07834122919 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to help.
Start your journey. Give a year. Be The Change.